One of my clients requested certain buildings & geological features for his Alaskan quilt.
Like Linda V. Taylor, I said, “I can do that!” (Are you chuckling yet?)
He provided some photos & references as a start, but gave me leeway based on his familiarity with my work. I also spent many hours on the Internet perusing photos of the area, & examining our personal collection.that has accumulated over the years.
Since the quilt is still in progress, I will not show it in entirety. However, how I tackled turning photos into fabric may be of interest.
This building is rectangular in nature, so I plotted the block on graph paper. (The finished block is 10″x14″.) I added fusible to the back of the brown fabric & then cut narrow strips for framing, to be machine appliqued in place. The porch roof was also appliqued in place. In retrospect, I should have either starched the fabrics, or better yet, used batiks, for there is a little fraying along the edges that I don’t like.
The railings (banisters) were embroidered in place using a wide satin stitch on my Janome 8900. The sign was completed separately, using alphabet embroidery, than appliqued into place.
To reproduce a landscape feature, my process in a little different. It’s not so easy to square off a mountain on graph paper! This ice fall of the Root Glacier looks like a staircase, & is often referred to as The Staircase.
It’s difficult to see here, but I enlarged one of the photos & then traced the predominant lines of the descending levels on vellum paper. Simplifying is hard for me; I want to add too many details.
Going thru my white, light blue, grey, glittery fabrics was a bit of a chore. It proved easier to eliminate fabrics, than to choose! At last I had a selection that seemed to give the appearance of a staircase (sort of like a stepped waterfall in ice), & applied fusible to the backsides. Pieces were machine appliqued in place, some hardly more than a sliver.
Here is the finished block: